Sunday, April 05, 2015

Happy Easter from Jesus In Love and Kittredge Cherry -- with murals of Los Angeles


I found Jesus painted on the walls of the Los Angeles neighborhood near my home. Folk-art religious murals are a wonderful part of the Latino street culture here.

These colorful murals express the Easter spirit of Jesus vibrantly alive among the common people. When I visited the Jesus murals, I dressed for the occasion by wearing my rainbow-flag T-shirt that proclaims, “God loves me just as I am.”


Jesus raises a wounded hand in blessing on the side of the Highland Theater at 5604 North Figueroa Street in Los Angeles. Artist John Zender Estrada merges urban Chicano and Catholic sensibilities in his religious street art.


"I stretch out my hands to You; My soul longs for You, as a parched land." -- Psalm 143:6


I touched the most sacred heart of Jesus!



Jesus stretches his arms wide to welcome me at Guerrero’s Produce Market on the corner of York Boulevard and N. Avenue 56 in the Highland Park art of Los Angeles.


“I will hold you always in the palm of my hand.” -- Isaiah 41:13


All photos by Audrey Lockwood.


I am collecting an Easter offering to support my work at Jesus in Love for LGBT spirituality and the arts. Please give now at my donate page.

For the whole Easter story, check out The Passion of Christ: A Gay Vision with art by Douglas Blanchard and expanded commentary by Kittredge Cherry.

Thank you to everyone for the many ways you show support.  Christ is risen indeed!  Happy Easter!

No comments: