Friday, February 19, 2010

Elton John calls Jesus gay

Elton John calls Jesus a “super-intelligent gay man” in a new interview with Parade Magazine.

The openly gay pop music star says, “I think Jesus was a compassionate, super-intelligent gay man who understood human problems. On the cross, he forgave the people who crucified him. Jesus wanted us to be loving and forgiving.”

Elton John’s interview is the cover story for this weekend’s Parade magazine. The quote about Jesus appears under “web exclusive” at the Parade website at this link:

http://www.parade.com/celebrity/celebrity-parade/2010/elton-john-web-exclusive.html

The interview is getting tons of publicity, and fundamentalist Christians are already denouncing it.

I promote the gay Jesus in my blog, books and website (JesusInLove.org), so I’m pleased to hear Elton John saying that Jesus was gay. Maybe Elton John has visited this blog!

It’s important to present Jesus as gay in order to counteract Christian anti-gay hate and bigotry. The name of Jesus is being misused to justify hate and discrimination against GLBT people, but Jesus taught love for all.

If you’re interested in whether Jesus was really gay, I recommend “The Man Jesus Loved” by Theodore Jennings, a reputable Bible scholar who argues that Jesus had same-sex attractions. To see how artists envision a gay Jesus, check out my book “Art That Dares: Gay Jesus, Woman Christ, and More.”

To Elton John, I paraphrase one of your hits and say with thanks, “My gift is my blog and this post is for you.”

4 comments:

Kittredge Cherry said...

I agree, Yewtree: I personally feel that the historical Jesus was bisexual. I frequently highlight gay Jesus images on my blog and website as a way to counterbalance the overwhelming assumption that Jesus was heterosexual, if he was sexual at all.

Apparently Elton John is now saying he made his remark about the gay Jesus off the record, and did not expect it to be published. But I’m glad that his words are out there, making people think.

I actually thought it was surprising that he called Jesus “super-intelligent.” I don’t recall ever hearing anyone talk about the IQ of Jesus.

pennyjane said...

i think Jesus is all things to all people....i guess it's as accurate to call him homosexual or bisexual or asexual or heterosexual...i have no problem with any of that.

as long as we don't start with the "Jesus is this and not that"

you can't say that Jesus is transsexual and therefore not cisgender...you can't say that He's female and therefore not male. you can't say that He's homosexual and not bisexual or not asexual or not heterosexual.

Jesus is not "was" anything, Jesus is...and He is God.

"in the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God."

"and the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth."

Jesus is all things but he "isn't" anything.

much love and hope. pj

Kittredge Cherry said...

I am struck by PJ's comment, "Jesus is all things but he 'isn't' anything."

That must be why one the mysterious Hebrew name of God YHWH is translated as "I am."

Anonymous said...

Secret Gospel of Mark shows Jesus was gay. The Mark we have had the gay verses censored.